The Membership Process
Thanks for your interest in becoming a Knight and in joining our Council, Edward Douglass White. Below is step-by-step guidance on the membership process. If you have question about the Order, our Council, or anything not covered below, please ask us.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you plan on taking one of the scheduled First Degree initiations, you must be in contact with us at least 1 week in advance. While our candidate review process is not difficult, we need time for that review process take place. Some of our First Degrees (about 5 per year) have grown so large that we cannot adequately handle or prepare those who contact us in the last few days (or hours!). This is unfair to our Council Membership and candidates.
Assuming you meet the prerequisites* (Male, 18 years and older, Catholic) a summary of the process is as follows:
1.) Acquire and complete an application (Form 100)
- Acquire and complete an application (Form 100)
- Contact the Membership Committee
- Attend a First Degree initiation
- Begin paying annual dues
A Form 100 can be acquired in person. You will find applications at both the Council Home and the Main Office. The Council Home is the old stone mansion and can be accessed by using either of the side entrances from 5:00 pm -- 10:00 pm. Ask a member or the bartender where to find an application. The Main Office is located in the lower brick building, or “Main Hall”. Enter the front doors and immediately turning right down the short corridor. You may want to call first to ensure that the Office is open.
You should hold on to your application until the night you join!
Do not leave it at the Bar or Office.
Prior to Step two, please do and note the following:
2.) Contact the Membership Committee
- Section 1: Our Council Number is "2473". For Council Location please print "Arlington, VA".
- Section 2: Check only "NEW MEMBER" unless one of the other option applies to you.
- Section 3: Please complete entire section.
- Section 4: Please answer the following:
- "Are you a practical Catholic in communion with the Holy See?"
- "Did you apply for membership previously?"
- "Parish Name" -- IMPORTANT, only include the parish for which you are registered. It's not necessary that your registered parish be one of the 4 that EDW includes. If you are NOT registered to a parish, please leave the field blank for the time being.
- "Former Columbian Squire?"
- Section 5: New Member Annuity Plan. This is a new benefit and a one-time offer to candidates. If you have questions regarding this item, more information can be found in the Fraternal Benefits (Premium Insurance) section of the website.
- Section 6: Signatures
- "Proposer's Signature". Your Proposer, or "Sponsor" can be any Knight, anywhere, who is currently in good standing (a Knight is in good standing if they have a membership card for the current year). Sponsors are not required to attend your initiation, so a friend or brother overseas can still be your sponsor. You can clearly print their name on the signature line.(If you do not have a friend or family member to sponsor you, just let us know; it’s not a deal breaker.)
- Proposer's Membership Number: Print this nuber from your sponsor's membership card (of the current calendar year).
- Applicant's Interests/Preferences: Please complete entire section.
As soon as possible, contact us. It is important that we are aware of and communicate with all candidates prior to their initiation. No “Walk-Ins” please. We retain the right to turn walk-ins away until the next opportunity.
You can contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at (703) 346-4387.
The information we need from you for this step is:
- First Name
- Middle Initial
- Last Name
- Parish to which you are Registered (If you are not registered, please indicate)
- Spouses Name (if married)
- # of Children
- Primary Phone
- Secondary Phone (optional)
- Sponsor/Proposer Name (If you do not have a person be your sponsor, please indicate)
Once you contact us we will enter you in our spreadsheet. You’ll then get notified of upcoming degrees and receive detailed information you’ll need to be prepared. We can also answer your questions and resolve any potential issues.
3.) Attend a First Degree initiation
This is the most interesting part, but there’s not too much we can tell you. You just have to experience it! Taking the degree requires little preparation, but it is a time commitment -- requiring a few hours on a Thursday night. (On rare occasions we’ll have a non-Thursday First Degree.) Candidates will be asked to arrive early for some processing.
Proof of Catholicity
: Upon your arrival we will ask for your Form 100 and proof of one of our basic requirements -- being Catholic. This can be: a tithing envelope from your registered parish, a letter from a priest, or a copy of your Baptismal certificate. If you have questions about this, please let us know in advance.
After the ceremonial we'll finish up the remainder of our regular meeting. Food and drinks are served afterward, and then all are welcomed over to the Council Home.
4.) Begin paying annual dues
: The night you join you must pay your annual dues for the reaining portion of the calendar year and a 1-time $20 processing fee. 2011 dues were $126 (This includes Council dues as well as dues for our sister organization, the Columbus Club). We'll give you the exact amount as we send out reminders for each Degree. (There are reduced rates and/or fees for full-time students and those under 25 years of age). Continue to pay your dues as notices are mailed each December to remain a Knight in Good Standing.
The Membership FAQ on our website contains information about the process, including details regarding the First Degree (where, what time, dress, etc…). We encourage you to review that.